Surroundings

Open air museum "Ates mill"

Ates Mill Museum was opened in Ate water mills in 1985 by Viktors Kirps. It is located in Ate, Kalncempji village, 201 km from Riga and 19 km from Aluksne. The central object of the museum complex is the working Ate water mills (built at the end of 18th century) and the exposition placed in the dwelling part of the mill building and reflecting the social life, traditions and collective farm times of the village.
There is an ethnographic exposition arranged around the mills. It consists of 13 Vidzeme farmer house buildings that have been renovated and moved from various places of the village and contain corresponding tools, household equipment and machinery.
The major event of the museum is Harvesting Festival, which is one of the most ancient Latvian farmer traditions. The festival takes place on the second Saturday of each September. During the festival there are demonstrations of threshing with the help of old tools, grinding with hand mills, a full lax processing cycle, including combing, spinning and weaving. During the festival there are also demonstrations of the old water mills at work, as well as the traditional rural craftsmanship and household works.

 

Narrow - gauge railway

Narrow - gauge railway Gulbene - Alūksne (1903) - the only narrow - gauge train regularly operated in the Baltics.

Nearly 33km. in length, the Gulbene to Aluksne line is the last section of narrow gauge railway in general use in Latvia. It is the only part of the much longer Stukmani - Valka railway, built in 1903, which is still in operation. A History of almost 100 years was one of the reasons why the Gulbene - Aluksne line was recognised in 1998 as a cultural monument of national significance. Three return train services provide regular passenger traffic between Gulbene and Aluksne, following a daily timetable. Diesel locomotives and carriages built in the 1960s and 1980s are used for passenger services. This historic railway has become popular with tourists due to the picturesque scenery through which it passes, as well as the access to sites of natural and historic interest which it provides.


Gulbji Boulder (with carved cross)

Gulbju Cross stone or Tabakdoze is on the right side of Aluksne – Gulbene road, 10 km from Aluksne and about 500 m from house Gulbji. On the front side of the nearly one meter high pillar-like stone there is a forged cross, the foundation of which is forged deeper and makes a small cavity in the form of a tobacco-vessel. Evidently, the cross stone is a commemorative sign of some tragic event.
A legend says: “Exactly in the place where now is the stone, in the old times an old man who was on the way from Vecgulbene to Aluksne, sat down to rest and take a snuff of tobacco, but unfortunately the tobacco vessel was empty. He yearned for it so much that he pleaded the passers by, but they did not give him any. Next morning the old man was found dead from lack of tobacco. In his memory a cross with tobacco vessel was forged in the stone.” The hill with the stone at the foot is called the Smokers’ hill.

 

Alūksne

In the northeastern part of Latvia, on the Aluksne highland, on the bank of Lake Aluksne, stands a little town. It has always been special - local people are recognised by breaking the sounds of words when speaking; the first Latvian schools were founded here; the Bible was first translated here; the Russian empress spent her childhood here; this is the crossroad of big roads connecting the neighbouring estonian and russian nations; this place marks the beginning of Latvia and Europe; and it is the most beautiful of all towns - Aluksne is the pearl of North Vidzeme.

*)Temple Hill and Sun Bridge

*)The ruins of the Livonian Orden

*)Aluksne Lake with its 4 islands

*) Glik`s oaks, planted by the German parson of Aluksne parish Ernst Johan Glik in 1685 and 1689 after finishing of the translations of the New and the Old Testament into Latvian.

*)Bible museum - the first and the only one in Europe with Bibles in close to 3oo languages.

*)The New and the Old Aluksne`s palaces, the dendrology park with small architectural elements.

*)Aluksne Lutheranic church, Aluksne Orthodox Church

*)Narrow Gauge Railway. Three return train services provide regular passenger traffic between Aluksne - Gulbene


Stāmeriena

*)Stameriena estate and castle

*)Orthodox Church of St. Alexander Nevski

*)Stameriena station

*)Stameriena lake


Gulbene

*)Swan park

*)Evangelistic Lutheran church of Gulbene

*)Vecgulbene estate complex - White Palace

*)Monument of the members of Gulbenes parish fallen in the struggle for freedom of Latvia

*)Gulbene station


Zeltini missiles base

Former Soviet army missiles base.